Butterscotch and banana: one of the greatest flavor combinations ever! I don’t know why I never thought to combine them before, but now I know. Although, that really means I should steer clear of ever making these again because they were highly addictive!
These bake up more cake-like than most blondies – like banana bread, but in bar form, with gooey bits of butterscotch. The recipe calls for waiting to cut them until completely cool, but I dare you to resist immediately diving in! Cutting them right away causes quite a mess because they stick to the knife, meaning you have to scrape bits of gooey blondie off each time. Oh darn!
Butterscotch Banana Blondies
Source: Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice
Makes: One 13×9-inch pan, 20-24 bars
12 tablespoons (1 & 1/2 sticks) butter
1 & 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
2 & 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups (4-5 medium) ripe banana, mashed
2 cups butterscotch chips
1/2 cups chopped nuts, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 13×9-inch baking pan or line with parchment paper.
2. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Add the brown sugar and stir just until melted. Remove from heat and let cool until lukewarm. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl.
3. While butter mixture is cooling, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a separate bowl.
4. Once butter and sugar mixture is cooled, beat in the vanilla and eggs. Add mashed banana and stir to combine. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined, then fold in the butterscotch chips and nuts.
5. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes. Cool thoroughly before cutting them into squares, wiping the knife clean after each cut.