Can you believe the year is ending already? It feels like 2013 slipped by at lightning speed!
Since it’s the last day of the month, that means it’s Bakin’ Friends reveal day. This month, our secret ingredient was cardamom. And with the holidays, I knew I wanted to make a chewy molasses cookie. All of the molasses in these cookies adds a wonderful flavor and creates a chewy center! They reminded me of chai tea mixed with a mild spice cookie – a perfect combo this time of year!
Leah was my match for the month and sent me some amazing Oatmeal Ginger Cardamom Cookies. The oatmeal in these added structure and texture, and they were so delicious! Plus, Leah was kind enough to send a bag of her favorite homemade granola! I’m thinking granola should be on my homemade gift list next year!
Molasses Cardamom Cookies
2 & 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup molasses
sugar for rolling
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare cookie sheet with parchment and set aside.
2. Stir together the flour, spices, and baking soda. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
4. Beat in the egg and molasses. Slowly add the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
5. Shape dough and roll in sugar. Place on prepared sheet at least 2 inches apart and gently flatten the tops of the cookies.
6. Bake for 8 – 10 minutes, then let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
If you’d like to participate in the Bakin’ Friends group, head on over to Leah’s page and sign up!