What better way to celebrate Spring than with lemon and coconut!
Coconut macaroons are one of my favorite cookies to make because they are so simple! If you are careful to not over-bake them, they are crispy on the outside and chewy in the middle – a great combination! Plus, there are lots of variations you can try, such lemon! The lemon zest and juice add just a hint of citrus, so if you really want a punch of lemon, be sure to add more zest.
Lemon Coconut Macaroons
Makes 12-15 macaroons
2 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 (14 oz) bag sweetened, flaked coconut
1 tablespoon lemon zest (from 1 large lemon)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the egg whites and salt and whisk vigorously for 2 minutes until light and frothy.
3. Add the milk, sugar, almond extract, and lemon juice and stir until well combined.
4. Add in the flour, flaked coconut and lemon zest. Using a rubber spatula, fold into the wet mixture until combined.
5. Using a cookie scoop, drop shaped mounds onto the prepared cookie sheet about 1-inch apart.
6. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned. Allow cookies to rest for about 2 minutes before placing them on a cooling rack.